The concept of Home management deals with achieving desired goals through planned activity. It is the natural outcome of the human relationships in the home environment. It is also involves the practical application of the principles of management at home. It was defined by Gross and Crandall in its simplest terms as “using what you have to get what you want.”. Thus the process of such a management involves Planning, Organizing, Controlling and Evaluation by using both Human and Non Human resources to realize the family values and attain family goals.
“Time management” is the process of organizing and planning how to divide your time between specific activities. Good time management enables to work smarter – not harder – so that one gets more done in less time, even when time is tight and pressures are high. Failing to manage the time damages one’s effectiveness and would cause them stress.
Good time management requires an important shift in focus from activities to results: being busy isn’t the same as being effective. It has the following benefits:
- Greater productivity and efficiency.
- A better professional reputation.
- Less stress.
- Increased opportunities for advancement.
- Greater opportunities to achieve important life and career goals.
Due to various social, cultural and economic factors, women are facing a sharp increase in caregiving responsibilities, with even less freedom, space, or economic security.A lockdown increases the burden of household work for all families. Since, Children have to be home-schooled, fed and entertained. The elderly are at risk and have to be attended to with greater care than usual. The whole apparatus is now disrupted, as homes with part-time help are confronted with increased housework because the service providers are in lockdown too. Women have the double burden of domestic chores and their day jobs are now multiplied many times over, because their day job now has a new name: work from home. It is difficult to imagine the catastrophic effect of this sudden and seemingly indefinite rise in work pressure on the mental and physical health of women. Thus, it has become necessary for women to learn new skills that would help them to remain active without affecting their mental and physical health. For achieving this, they need to be efficient in managing both home and time
Some of the tips of Home and Time management during Covid 19 are:
- Creating a Home management plan, which includes a schedule regarding routine maintenance and cleaning works that are according to the directions of Health workers, could be followed
- The lockdown might leave some unemployed, while the other sections to work from home. Thus, it is important for the former group to remain self-reliant by finding any other source of income, avoiding panic buying, keeping enough liquid money for meeting the future expenses, etc.
- Involve children in the activities of home management like, housekeeping, money management, etc so that much of the burden regarding management is reduced
- Making a to do list, or a checklist can help women to manage works in a timely manner and complete them smoothly.
- Planning on aspects like Meals are important during this period. Since, people will depend upon homely meals, which is more affordable and healthy too. It is suggested to plan for a meal that is based on balanced diet and depend less on outside food.
- Women can utilize this time by cleaning out gardens and yards with the help of other family members as part of home maintenance.
- Discipline and planning will help women to accomplish many of her personal and professional tasks.
- The lockdown period has helped many families to stay and spend their family time together. This should be effectively utilized by setting boundaries for each of the activities like, working, spending time for social media, personal time and family time.
- Batching is when one groups similar tasks into blocks of time. During this time one should have no distractions. Setting a timer, shutting off distractions and only working on dream job searching efforts.
- Making morning rituals that includes journaling, meditating, exercising, writing affirmations etc will change the outlook of one’s day ahead.
- Learn to say ‘NO’ when things are out of control.
Thus, it is evident from these facts that, people, particularly women, can make use of this lockdown period in a very fruitful and positive manner. It is also known that the women must take care of her mental health along with their physical health so as to meet her own needs and that of their family’s which will ultimately help them to achieve their goals.